Thursday, December 30, 2010

Happy New Year!


During the holiday season I like to drink Southern Comfort Punch. It is actually called "Holiday Punch" in the Southern Comfort pamphlet I have from 1974 (real date of pamphlet may not be 1974, but it has a 1974 feel to it and me and my family have been drinking this for a long time, so you get the idea).

I made it at least three times in December for various events I held in my home. Some of those events were as simple as me decorating the Christmas tree. My family drank it on Christmas Eve, like we do every year. I think drinking this mixture at other times of the year would ruin the special holiday magic it holds for me.

So, since the new year is fast approaching, get started mixing up your batch now or wait until after Thanksgiving 2011. Directions after ingredient picture below:

  1. Get punch bowl.
  2. Add one container of frozen orange juice (any brand will do). It can still be slightly frozen because I think that makes the punch colder and it will thaw eventually.
  3. Add one container of Minute Maid Limeade. I always use Minute Maid Limeade because it just tastes better.
  4. Add some Cranberry Juice Cocktail--classic Ocean Spray works best. Don't use real cranberry juice. This is no time to try to be healthy. I like the punch to have a pinkish orange color, so I add enough cranberry juice to achieve that look.
  5. Add Southern Comfort. Use your judgement here. No matter how much you add, it will pretty much taste the same. So you decide how drunk you want people to end up and how much of your precious alcohol you want to use. Southern Comfort is relatively cheap and I like people to have a good time, so I add a lot.
  6. Add a bunch of ice or an ice ring. You've made this pretty strong and the juices are pretty sweet, so it can handle a lot of melting ice without losing any of the flavor.
  7. Add a can or two of 7-Up before serving. The fizz makes it good, that's why I add it as close to guest arrival time as possible.
They say what you are doing on the first day of the new year will pretty much predict how that year will go for you. So what better symbolism for the year to come than the abundance of a bowl of punch shared with people you love. Wishing you joy and abundance in 2011!

11 comments:

  1. I found this post through Domestica's blog. I'm going to have to go shopping. This sounds delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your punch. Now I can make it myself, but it doesn't come with a bottle of you to add, so it won't be the same...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww sewZinski, hope your punch was good! Reverend Awesome, isn't Domestica great? Anyway, I hope you tried it and liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, i missed the the creation of these little beauties! they look good!


    Glass Chillers

    ReplyDelete
  5. just added this recipe to my Thanksgiving menu planning

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you add water as directed with the orange juice and minute maid juice?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great, simple recipe. But this is my favorite part: "Southern Comfort is relatively cheap and I like people to have a good time, so I add a lot." Words to live by! I love it. Preach! Lol
    Because this is so tasty-but-simple, I recommended it on my blog for a creepy Christmas cocktail party. You can see it here, if you'd like: http://wp.me/p4OeZC-3p

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you add the water to the OJ as directed on the concentrate container?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I made without adding water and it was wonderful.

      Delete
  9. For a "good time" how much SC would you suggest?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do you think this would be good in the Summer?

    ReplyDelete