Sunday, June 14, 2009

Cooking With Booze: Beer Can Chicken

This is the first in what will be a regular feature on Glass Half Full called Cooking with Booze. I not only like to drink alcohol, I like to cook with it. I plan to start sharing some of my favorite alcohol-related recipes with you.

I apologize to my vegetarian readers, but this beer can chicken was just so good; I couldn't help but write about it.

Recipe for Beer Can Chicken:
  • Pour out or drink 1/4 cup can of beer
  • Rub whole chicken in spices
  • Poke additional hole in top of beer can
  • Stand chicken on beer can
  • Grill for 1-2 hours
For the chicken pictured here we used Budweiser beer. I read all about how to do this in the magazine Cooks Illustrated. They said a lager beer like Budweiser worked best. No need to try a "fancy" beer. They also have a great list of spices to use.

Our friend E took this picture. His wife M and I decided it would be fun to cook a Thanksgiving turkey this way using a big can of Fosters. If I can find a big enough grill, you just might see that posted on Thanksgiving Day. Until then, try this recipe yourself this summer. It won't disappoint. 


No comments:

Post a Comment